Sunday, 24 August 2014

Marrying one wife, secret of long life — 80-yr-old retired lawyer


A retired lawyer and former Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Excise (Nigeria Customs Service), Chief Moses Ewuyemi


A retired lawyer and former Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Excise (Nigeria Customs Service), 80-year-old Chief Moses Ewuyemi, tells ARUKAINO UMUKORO about his life
When and wherewere you born?
I was born on July 16, 1934 at Iwopin in Ogun State.
How was growing up like?
I grew up in a large family. My father had six wives and many children. Growing up was very pleasant because everything was plentiful. One felt very comfortable. I grew up in the rural area up till 1949. My father, Chief Disu Ewubajo Ewuyemi, was a customary judge, and my mother, Munirat Banke Ewuyemi, was a successful businesswoman in Iwopin. She travelled to many parts of the country, including Lagos, to buy goods. She tried her best to make me happy and comfortable.
Where did you school?
I attended St. Peters Primary School, Iwopin, from 1942-1949. My late brother was living in Ijebu Ode then. I relocated to Ijebu Ode where I continued my education at Ansarudeen School, Ijebu Ode, in 1949. I later attended Olu-Iwa College, Ijebu Ode (now known as Adeola Odutola College), from 1950 to 1955. After that, I worked briefly at Government Press, in the Ministry of Information, Old Western Region, Ibadan in 1956. In September, 1963, I gained admission into the University of Ife, Ibadan campus, where I studied Law and bagged an LL.B in 1966. From there, I proceeded to the Nigerian Law School. I was called to the bar and registered as solicitor and advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 1967.
Where did you practise after you were called to the bar?
I practised very briefly for about a year under a lawyer, Mr. Awopeju, I can’t remember his first name. Our chamber was located on Broad Street, Lagos. On a particular day, when we were handling a case, I heard that the Department of Customs and Excise, now called the Nigeria Customs Service, was recruiting lawyers. So, I went to their office dressed in my full law regalia. I was employed after an interview. They needed to employ four lawyers then and I was lucky to be one of them. I resumed three weeks later. This was in 1968.
How was your experience with the Customs Service?
It was interesting. I was also lucky then because I was posted to the Department of Tariff and Trade. Our section handled general matters, including excise, the review and interpretation of laws. Also, we had the Customs and Excise Management Act. Then, the service had connections with the Customs abroad. So, I travelled frequently to Brussels, where we reviewed customs laws and other related matter. Working in the customs service also gave me the opportunity to know other countries and cultures. It gave me a lot of exposure as I travelled within and outside Nigeria. I attended several courses in Nigeria and overseas, including courses at the Royal Institute of Public Administration, in London, and the Advanced Customs and Administration course in Finland. I became an expert in Tariff and Trade. If there was any problem in the classification of goods, it was referred to our section. When Nigeria started producing goods locally, it was our duty to give custom analysis to such goods. I was among those who initiated the first Export Production Zone in Calabar. During my course of work with the Customs Service, I was posted to various states as Controller and Area Administrator. I was Area Administrator in Akure, Ondo State in 1986. I was appointed as Assistant Comptroller-General of Customs and Excise in 1991. Then, the Comptroller-General was a northerner and he became Minister of External Affairs at a point. I can’t remember his name. I retired voluntarily in 1993. While in the Customs, I was honoured with the chieftaincy title of Bobagunwa of Iwopin by his Royal Highness, Oba Julius Olaide Adekoya in 1987. I worked with the Customs for 25 years. I would not have joined the Customs because I wanted to start my own practice earlier on. But when the civil war broke out in 1967, it affected my plans and, instead of starting my own practice, I decided to look for a job.
What’s your recollection of the civil war?
The civil war was a terrible period. Ojukwu withdrew all his tribesmen and most Igbos travelled back to their states in the East. But nobody is indispensable and his so-called withdrawal did not have much economic effect on the country.
Why should Nigeria remain as one?
Ideally, if one looks at what is going on now, one would say we should disintegrate. But disintegration has more dangerous consequences than one can imagine. The economy of Nigeria has deteriorated, unlike those days. Things have degenerated because of the way we play politics and some other issues. But I hope things would get better for the country and Nigeria would stay as one. Despite all the odds, I am convinced that God loves Nigeria.
What have you been doing since you retired from the customs?
After I retired, I started my company and went into business as an oil marketer. I am the Chairman and Chief Executive of Mejabot and Sons Nigeria Ltd. I also made the pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Jerusalem, Israel, in 1993.
How would you describe life in retirement?
I thank God because I am still enjoying life in retirement.
Can you remember the names of some of your contemporaries?
Right from my early school days, my closest friend was one Mr. Oshaile, but he died many years back. After that, I don’t think I have had any close friend because I felt his death so much. Most of my friends are late now.
Are you happy that you resigned at the time you did?
Yes I am, because at the time I retired, the Federal Government proposed the establishment of a paper and pulp industry in my hometown. My family also sold sand and the materials they needed in setting up the building, and as a citizen, I offered advice and assisted them in every way I could. This was in 1994/1995.
How did you meet your wife?
I met her when I was working in the Government Press, Ibadan. Then, I was staying with a friend until I rented my apartment in Agbeni, the same area my wife was living at that time. I saw her when she was returning from a church service and I spoke with her. That was how we became friends and I found out where she lived. Then, she was on holidays from school. The moment I saw her, I knew from instinct that she was going to be my wife. And I made up my mind that she was the one I would marry because I saw in her everything I needed in a woman. This included beauty and character. My wife passed on in February, this year. I miss her a lot.
When did you get married?
I got married in 1959. I had my first child a year later in 1960. I was 26 when I got married.
Why did you marry so early in life?
I got married early because first of all, I come from a fairly good and comfortable family. Secondly, I am the only surviving child of my mother. My mother had three children but the first two did not survive. My mother dotted on me, and even though my father had six wives, he was so much in love with my mum and she was his confidante. Also, my mother was a very successful businesswoman and did well for herself. Then, she put pressure on me to get married on time. I already had two children before I finished from the university. Thank God my mother was a woman of means. She put up a bungalow for me so that I would have an apartment to stay before I completed my course in the university. I built my own house later in life.
You were married for 55 years. What will you say is the secret of a successful marriage?
The secret of a successful marriage is truthfulness and faithfulness. You must be faithful and truthful to your wife. Let your yes be yes and no be no. Also, because I came from a polygamous home, I made up my mind that I would not marry more than one wife. God helped me to make a choice in my wife and I was happy to stay with her. My job involved a lot of travelling and she was wonderful in keeping the home. My family was also very helpful during those times.
How many children do you have?
I have five children, one son and four daughters, and many grand-children. They are all graduates and are successful in their careers. One of them is also a lawyer and is based in the United Kingdom.
What’s your favourite meal?
It is moin-moin and pap.
What is the secret of your longevity?
I thank God for it. It’s because I have one wife; the secret is being faithful to one’s wife. I made up my mind to be happy and live a peaceful life.
How do you keep fit at your age?
When I was in the customs, we were engaged in a lot of paramilitary activities. But now that I am in my old age, I walk around the house several times during the day.
What are you most fulfilled about in life?
I’m very happy and fulfilled that all my children are successful. Also, when I look back, I just thank God that I had a good life and God was with me all the way.
What’s your advice to young people?
In terms of marriage, they should marry the person they love and be faithful to one’s spouse. Marrying someone you love will help you to be honest and straightforward. In their careers, they should stay focused, work hard, be honest and dedicated in whatever they choose to do in life.

No comments: